Tuesday, April 10, 2012

DIY: Custom Filing Dividers

Every time I tackle a project, I end up doing it in the most complicated way, and when all is said and done, I think to myself, "Well, that turned out nice but should've taken the easy route". This can be said for my latest project which is to create a filing system in one of my desk drawers. It was a fun project but since I only get snippets of time to complete, I couldn't wait to be done!

Check out the end result:


Here is how I did it.

1. Take your drawer and measure.


2. Cut out a template for your dividers. I used a file folder since it is thicker than regular paper and you will be tracing it onto cardboard so this makes it easier.


4. Take a piece of cardboard to use as your divider - I used a diaper box since they are made of sturdy cardboard.


5. Glue pretty paper (or not, if you aren't picky) to each side. I was lucky enough to snag some rolls of wallpaper at a thrift store for $1 each, so that is what I used. Wallpaper is a great option because it is more durable than regular paper.


6. Using your template, trace it onto the paper with a pencil.


7. Cut along the pencil lines - I used an exacto knife and heavy ruler on a cutting mat.


8. The raw edge of the cardboard will show, so I cut a narrow strip of wallpaper and glued it to the top edge.


9. Try it on for size! If you need to you can trim the edges at this point so that it fits snugly in your drawer.


10. If it fits snugly enough, you might be able to stop here but I used pushpins to create a "track" for the divider - you could use some different options here but this worked for me since the drawer is made of fairly soft wood.


11. Make as many as you need - I made six of them for my drawer:


The next step is to make labels for the tabs and this drawer will be complete!

If you wanted to cut the time this project took me in half, instead of creating a fancy tabbed top on your divider, you could just use a rectangular piece of cardboard and simply wrap your paper over the top - a lot less cutting and gluing that way!

Anyone have any creative ways to create desk filing organization? Share your ideas!


No comments:

Post a Comment