Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Desk Reveal!

Well I've been absent from the blogworld for the past week taking care of some sick kiddos. Now that everyone is on the mend, it's time for an update on my desk organization!

As you may remember, we started here with my desk in the corner of our playroom:


First, I started by clearing everything out so that I could start with a fresh slate:


Then I figured out how I need this area to function and created some custom drawer dividers to house the mountains of paperwork that flow through this area:


Next it was time to start bringing things back into the space. I was determined to only bring back necessary items and find a great solution for storing paperwork. Important documents went into the family binder or into the drawer in the correct section. I am using an accordion file to store office supplies such as labels, blank paper and photo paper. This sits next to my desk for easy access.


For the main drawer I used a sectional divider which I have had for years and was not in use, which is great for keeping pens, post-its and smaller items separated and tidy.


Another drawer is for camera and camcorder supplies - I used a cardboard divider that was in a box used for canning jars - works great for now! Down the road I would love to have a more permanent and pretty solution but for now this is functional. (The open section is for my camera, which I was using at the time to take the picture of course!)


The other drawers hold my label printer and blank DVDs, I even have room to spare!

Remember the before:


And after:


In total I spent $1.25 for the pretty bowl (dollar store), $1.25 for the garbage can (dollar store) and I purchased two standing magazine holders to sit on the desk to hold books, magazines and paperwork for around $5 at IKEA.

I would love to incorporate some pretty design elements into this area before moving on but the purpose of this journey is to make each area functional. Once each area has been de-cluttered and organized, I can think about the design aspect.

The best part? I have been able to keep it tidy and organized for an entire week and it has been no effort at all!

No comments:

Post a Comment